The Process To Apply For SASSA Care Dependency Grant – All You Need To Know in 2024

SASSA Care Dependency Grant

The SASSA Care Dependency Grant, also called the Disability Child Grant, is a grant given by SASSA to help parents or foster parents. The main person caring for a child suffering from serious disabilities. This financial help is for children who need a lot of care at home. Because of their physical or mental challenges.

Invalid Input
Invalid Input

You can start getting this grant when the child is born and keep getting it until they turn 18. A doctor from SASSA will check the child to ensure they are suffering from any disability. You have to take care of the child while staying at home. The child should not be in a place owned by the government. In this article, I will discuss the application procedure, required documents, eligibility criteria, and other details of a care dependency grant. 

Latest Form for Care Dependency Grant

Amount of SASSA Care Dependency Grant in 2024

As of 1 October 2023, children eligible for the care dependency grant can receive R2,090 each month. From 1 April 2024, the care dependency grant is expected to increase by R10 per child.

Amount of SASSA Care Dependency Grant in 2024

The Process To Apply For SASSA Care Dependency?

Before you can apply for the care dependency grant. A doctor working for SASSA needs to check the child’s medical condition to ensure eligibility. After the doctor’s checkup, you can apply for the grant by going to the SASSA office near you.

Latest Form for Care Dependency

Getting the Form at a SASSA Office

  • Firstly, you have to go to the SASSA office near you. 
  • Once you reach the office, ask Sassa workers for the Care Dependency Grant application form.
  • They will give you an application form to fill out.
  • It is necessary to fill out the form in the presence of a SASSA officer
  • You have to ensure you are providing all your information correctly and keeping it updated.

Ask for help if you need it.

  • If you are having trouble filling out the form or have questions, you can ask the Sassa staff for help.
  • The Sassa staff will help you to fill out your form.

Submit Your Application to SASSA

  • Once you have completed the form, attach any documents or papers requested by Sassa and then submit the form.
  • Before applying, double-check your information to ensure it’s correct and current.

Keep Your Receipt Safe

  • Once you give your application to SASSA, they will give you a receipt. 
  • This receipt will have the date you applied, the name of the SASSA officer who helped you, and a reference number. 
  • Keep this receipt safe because it proves you applied for the SASSA foster child grant.

Eligibility Criteria To Apply For Care Dependency Grant

To be eligible for the care dependency grant, the applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • Main Person: You must be a parent, a legal main caregiver, or a foster parent to a child younger than 18 years old.
  • Citizenship: To get the grant, you must be either a South African citizen, a refugee who is recognized, or someone with permanent residency.
  • Living Requirement: The child should not be living in a place owned by the government.
  • Disability Proof: You must provide proof that the child is suffering from a severe disability and is receiving care all the time at home.
  • Residency Status: Both you and your child must be living in South Africa.
  • Income Limits for Eligibility Your yearly earnings should not exceed R249,600 (which is R20,800 every month). If you’re married, your combined yearly income should not exceed R499,200 (or R41,600 monthly). This rule does not apply to foster parents.

Means Test Requirement

If you are married, you and your partner must meet the means test requirements. The means test helps Sassa check how much money you earn to decide. If you should get the care dependency grant. This test ensures that the grant goes to people who really need it. 

  • As of 1 April 2023, you shouldn’t make more than R249,600 a year if you’re single. 
  • If you’re married, you and your partner shouldn’t make more than R499,200 a year together.

Foster parents don’t have to qualify for this means test to get help. If you are getting help for a foster child and the child has a big disability. You can ask for the care dependency grant, too.

Documents Required For Care Dependency Grant

When you go to the SASSA office to apply for a care dependency grant. You need to take the following documents (they can be original or certified copies).

Documents Required For SASSA Care Dependency Grant

Required Identity Documents: 

The following documents are important for your identity verification.

  • Your original ID with a 13-digit barcode.
  • For recognized refugees, bring your status permit and refugee ID.
  • The child’s birth certificate must include a valid ID number.

No Identity Documents?

If the ID card and the child’s birth certificate are unavailable, you can bring the following documents.

  • Validation Form: This is a form signed by a reliable person who knows you and the child, such as a community leader, a traditional chief, a social worker with a certificate, a church leader, or a headteacher. 
  • A letter from Home Affairs: This letter proves that you have started the process of getting an ID for yourself or a birth certificate for your child from the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Temporary ID Card: Sometimes, the Department of Home Affairs gives out a temporary ID card while you’re waiting for your permanent one. If you have this temporary ID, bring it with you, as it can be an alternative to your official ID card.
  • Baptismal Certificate: If you have a baptismal certificate for your child, it’s a good idea to bring it with you.
  • School Certificate: A certificate from your child’s school can also be helpful. It could be anything official from the school that has your child’s name and other identifying information on it. 
  • Road to Health Clinic Card (RTHC): The Road to Health Clinic Card tracks your child’s health status, like vaccinations and check-ups. If you have this card, bring it with you.

Primary Caregiver

If you’re not the child’s biological parent, you have to prove that you are the primary caregiver for the child by showing the following documents.

  • A social worker’s report.
  • A statement was sworn from a police station.
  • A letter from the school’s principal if the child is school-going.
  • A letter from the child’s biological parent says you are allowed to care for the child.
  • A legal document from the court that mentions that you are the child’s official foster parent (this is just for foster parents).

Marital Status Documents

You need to show proof of your marital status with these documents.

  • Marriage Certificate: Provide this if you are married.
  • Divorce Decree: Bring this document if you are divorced.
  • Death Certificate: This is needed if your spouse has passed away.

For Married People

Bring any document that shows how much money you and your spouse make. This rule doesn’t apply to foster parents.

  • Your UIF card: If you are getting benefits from UIF.
  • Pay Slips: If you have a job, bring your payslips or bank statements for the past 3 months.
  • Employment Proof: If you were employed before, bring a leaving certificate from your last job or proof of being part of the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF).
  • Pension Proof: Your pension receipt if you’re getting a pension.
  • Financial Support: Proof of any money help you got for the child, or if you’ve tried but couldn’t get financial support from the child’s birth parents.

Child’s Income Proof

Proof of any earnings or income that the child might have.

Medical Report

A medical report is needed to show that the child has a disability. This report must also confirm that the child is always getting the care or help they need at home.

A few Ways To Get Grant Payments

Here are the ways you can get your payment. SASSA can send you the grant money in three different ways given below.

A few Ways To Get Grant Payments
  • Bank Deposit: Your grant money is deposited directly into your bank or Postbank account. The bank might charge a fee for this service.
  • Get Cash: You can withdraw your money in cash from stores that work with SASSA. These stores include Pick n Pay, Shoprite, Boxer, Checkers, Usave, and Spar.
  • Specific Institutions: You can receive grant payments from old age homes, disability centers, or non-profit organizations.

To receive payment in a bank account, complete the Consent Form for Bank Payment of the SASSA Grant. Also, you have to submit the documents given below.

  • Proof of Identity: You must provide your ID card, driving license, or birth certificate.
  • Bank Details: You must give your bank account number.
  • Bank Records: You must provide bank statements from the last three months showing your name and account number.

Reasons Of Grant Suspension

  • If you don’t receive your grant money for three months.
  • If you’re outside of South Africa for more than 90 days.
  • If you’re no longer recognized as a refugee.
  • If you don’t cooperate with Sassa when they review your grant.
  • If you give Sassa wrong information or try to deceive them.

Restoration Of Care Dependency Grant

If you think your grant was suspended by mistake or if you don’t agree with SASSA’s decision, you can appeal. You must submit your appeal to the Ministry of Social Development at the National Department of Social Development. You must appeal against the Sassa decision within 90 days after rejecting your grant.

Reasons the SASSA Foster Child Grant Stops

  • The child turns 18 or 21 years old.
  • The child doesn’t live with you anymore.
  • You or the child leave South Africa.
  • The child’s situation gets better.
  • There’s an error or update in the child’s official status.
Reviewing the SASSA Care Dependency Grant

Responsibilities Of Grant Holders

As a sassa grant recipient, you have to fulfill some responsibilities. 

  • To ensure everything is correct, always update SASSA about any changes in your life or money situation. Don’t forget to tell them about any changes with your child, too.
  • Always give true information since SASSA does not accept any kind of cheating or false information.
  • It’s important to quickly inform SASSA if your address or personal contact information changes.

Reviewing the Care Dependency Grant In 2024

SASSA can check your grant to see if your money situation is the same as when you applied. They do this to ensure you still need the grant and check if you are still alive. Before they check, SASSA will send you a letter. If you get your grant through a bank or another way, you must show yearly that you are still alive by sending a life certificate to SASSA. If you can’t leave your bed, SASSA will check at your house. After checking, they’ll give you a paper that says you follow the rules, with your grant number. For refugees, SASSA will start this check when it’s almost time to renew their status.


In conclusion, the Care Dependency Grant is special support from SASSA for those caring for children with serious disabilities. This help is for kids who need extra care because of their conditions and is available until they turn 18. To get this help, a doctor must check the child, and you’ll need to give SASSA some important documents. 

Right now, you can get R2,090 each month for each child, which will increase in April 2024. Remember, it’s important to follow all the steps correctly, you must keep SASSA updated, and know about the grant’s rules to make sure you keep getting this important support for your child.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *